Monday, September 27, 2010

Research Proposal

For my paper in research class it will be started from scrap. I want a fresh start that I could start and put my own thoughts in a research paper. The reason why I will do that is because lately I’ve been confused about what my major will be. I like many things that I could possibly do in my life as a career but i officially chose psychology. Why? Because I like the thought of working with people and being social with anyone that needs help. I like helping kids whenever they are struggling with something.
     So I have decided on writing about how children develop through the psycho-sexual theories and how Freuds theories get involved in how we all go through steps in life. I will discuss all the stages step by step and divide them into different examples and show how the stages are used continuously in our life. I have many ideas that I want to share with anyone that is interested in what I have to say about my idea about Freud and his theories.  
    What I will include in this paper and hope to find is different articles, different magazines, maybe even youtube videos that show how little kids react in the specific stages. Also my number one source that I will use is my general psychology textbook, developmental psychology textbook and my abnormal psychology textbook. All of these three textbooks have different ways of expressing different topics about the stages.
     My thesis will be about how I believe that when people pass the stages of psycho-sexual theory they will be fixated on one stage that will last through life. I have many arguments with people that don’t believe me so I will like to fight my thoughts  in a paper that i will do a lot of research on to try to prove my point.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole! I think it's awesome that you've decided to start a research paper from scratch, but on a topic that you are already familiar with. I personally find Freudian psychology to be fascinating and I know that Dr. McCormick is also into psychology, so you will definitely have an excited audience. I think that your process for approaching the paper is sound, so I guess now it's time to let the research begin! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! The way you express yourself here makes me want to read your paper already. I find psychology very interesting like you, I took 101 and 240 and they really describe all the stages a person goes through the minute they are born. You can include some of your own experiences as well, how you got to the final stage, the genital stage I think it’s called. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nicole. The topic is fascinating. Personally, I often find Freudian theory unscientific, although I believe he was quite insightful. So I am interested in how you would present, analyze and examine his theories. What magazine or articles are you going to use in support of your writing? You may want to check Psychology today. I cannot say that it is completely intellectual. But its approach is modern and it might give you a whole new perspective or you may find something that would work effectively in your paper. The New Yorker has good articles about psychology time to time. Textbooks are good source of fundamental knowledge and they contain lucid examples. But you may want to check e-books as well that are available to LaGuardia students to make your paper much more convincing. I often find many of the psychology books in the library out-of-date (and there are very few), which is not good because psychology changes and progresses constantly as we discover more things. A good thing with e-books is that you could find recent books as well. Since you are writing about theories of Freud, which is not really new, I think if you bring in some new theorists who support Freudian theories, that would make your paper more impressive and persuading. Good luck.

    Keiko Matsuura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole,
    I'm going to ask you to dramatically narrow your topic and to find a point of comparison (compare Freudian development with another theorist or in light of a critic of Freuds) and to take a stand. If you let me know which part of the psycho-sexual development theory you find most interesting to write about , I may be able to make a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete